Monday, April 4, 2011

seeds and the wind

It was such a nice weekend so I spent quite a bit of time outside. The blooms on all the trees around town have faded and the lime green leaves are emerging. When the breeze would pick up last week tiny white-yellow petals fell out of the trees. I watched them, they were like snow falling down in the sky. I was still unsure of what tree they had belonged to so I investigated.
By Saturday they were all over my porch and in piles around the apartment complex. Individually they are about half and inch around. I assume they were once white but have yellowed and dried as they grew tired of the trees clutch. At the center of the petal is an enlarged space, there is a seed encased in each petal.
As the
wind rushed in once again, I went toward where they were coming from and found that it was an elm tree.


A tall elm tree and it was still full of these dry blossoms. There would be more to come. The wind was stronger on Saturday night. They started getting in my apartment. When I went outside they stuck in my hair. The wind only got stronger and when I went outside Sunday morning my porch was clean. Not a sight of the little elm tree petals/seeds.
It's funny, but I enjoyed the sound of them as they danced across the cement, carried by the wind.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes. Elm seedlings. So pretty when they fall; such a nuisance when they sprout.

    ReplyDelete